By Oluwaseun Adeniji
BALTIMORE COUNTY, MD -- On Saturday, September 16, the Knights defeated Cumberland County College 10-0 behind a six-goal performance by freshman Erin Moran (Perry Hall) in front of a home crowd at CCBC Essex Stadium.
Opponent: Cumberland County College Dukes
Final Score: CCBC Essex 10 Cumberland County 0
Records: CCBC Essex (3-1) Cumberland County (1-4)
Location: Rosedale, Md.
How It Went Down
- Erin Moran scored the Knights first goal just 15 seconds into the game.
- At 7:10 and 8:15, Moran had two of her shots saved by Dukes' goalkeeper Imani Gains.
- Moran still determined, buries her second goal of the day at 8:51 to give the Knights a 2-0 lead.
- Moran picked up the hat trick less than one minute later, with an assist from sophomore Mackenzie Smythe (Sparrows Point).
- Moran picked up her fourth goal at 18:39, this time with an assist from freshman Mia Mangione (Friends). She moved with the right foot at the 18, which sent Gains to her left and to the ground, then aimed and scored with her left foot.
- At 22:42, Bailey D'Amico scored the Knights' fifth goal, her first goal collegiate goal. D'Amico came from the middle, out ran a Dukes defender and beat the goalie.
- At 32:35, the Dukes had their first real chance on offense as Renee Bokma took a pass in transition and shot from the right side of the box. Knights' sophomore goalie Francesca Gray (Overlea) went to the ground and made a great sprawling save to maintain the shutout.
- It was the Dukes only shot on goal in the game.
- In the 35th minute, Gains makes two saves on Corbitt-Fennekohl shots to keep it a 5-0 Knights, but only for a moment as Moran nets her fourth of the game.
- At 40:55, Moran caps her scoring at six with an assist by Hapsis.
- Less than three minutes later, Corbitt-Fennekohl scores her first goal of the season to give the Knights an 8-0 lead at the break.
- Entering the second half, Mangione aims to net her second goal of the game, but the shot is saved by Gains.
- In the 51st minute, Madison D'Amico scores with assistance from Smythe.
- At 64:04, a cross into the middle was followed by a shot by Lindsea Webb (Sparrows Point) that was saved by Gaines.
- At 79:57, Hapsis scores her first goal of the game and season, as Webb picked up the assist. Webb carried the ball throughout the midfield kicked and hit Hapsis in stride with the pass.
"I think we executed everything we've done in practice," said Knights head coach Geoffrey Holland. "Erin [Moran] came off today, she played great. With everything we asked in practice, she's been working really hard. She turns and hits the ball. In the first half you can see that she was just on and letting her go out there. At the same time for the second half, we told her to lay off and pass the ball a little more, and just relax because nobody wants to really dismantle a team or hurt another team because they were struggling to have a program. But Erin was fantastic today. And so far in the season she has [two] multi-goal games and we like that."
"I was excited that we were all able to work together, and pull out a win," said Moran. "At practice we have been working on our passing, getting it wide, our wide through wide balls… and I think we really accomplished that in the game today."
The Knights travel today to West Windsor Township, N.J. to take on Mercer County Community College. Game time is 6 p.m.