www.ccbcessexknights.com Tracking ID: UA-118278371-1 Global Site Tag: HOME

Women's Lacrosse: Knights Drop Thriller to Riverhawks in Home, Season Finale

Photo by Dean Tornatore
Photo by Dean Tornatore

By Coleman Hamstead

ROSEDALE, MD – The Knights fell short, ending its winning streak at four, 18-17 in a thriller of a home and season finale on Tuesday against conference rivals Anne Arundel.

The loss is especially tough for the Knights (6-7, 1-6 Maryland JUCO) as it looked like they were in control most of the game, despite playing the No. 4 ranked NJCAA team in driving rain.

Although the Riverhawks (9-4, 5-2 Maryland JUCO) won its last matchup with Essex 21-7, the Knights led 10-7 at halftime and held that lead most of the second half.

It was also Sophomore Day for the Knights, who will be losing five valuable members of the team. Captains Calixta Eraso (The Catholic High School) and Hannah Tornatore (Perry Hall) as well as Alexis Jackson (Kenwood) and Rachel Rossi (Havre De Grace) will be moving on. The Knights will also say goodbye to former student-athlete and this year's book keeper and second assistant, Breanna Sudano.

It was a defensive game early on, as both teams were making stops and forcing turnovers. The scoring started 3:15 in off a goal from Kirsten Jackson (Kenwood) to give the Knights a 1-0 lead.

Less than two minutes later, while a woman-up, Emily Rowe (Archbishop Spalding) tied the game for the Riverhawks off an assist from Renee Ruppert (Severna Park).

The next two goals in the game came from Ashley Alberts (Parkville) and Workmeister, giving the Knights a 3-1 lead 7:34 into the first half.

The Riverhawks responded, tying the game with goals from Rowe and Madeline Szyanyi (South River). A goal from Sofia Michael (Arundel) 17 seconds after Szyanyi's started a 3-0 run and gave the Riverhawks a 4-3 lead.

The lead didn't last long as a goal from Alexis Corbitt-Fennekohl (Loch Raven) would tie the game 4-4.

The Riverhawks gained the lead again off a goal from Alyssa Yates (Archbishop Spalding). Workmeister responded quickly with her second goal, tying the game at 5-5 with 7:40 remaining in the first half.

The next scoring came from Michael with her second and Rowe with her third 22 seconds after to give the Riverhawks a two-goal lead.

The Knights ended the half spectacularly, scoring five unanswered goals in a 5:21 timespan to give them a 10-7 lead at halftime.

The goals came from Corbitt-Fennekohl, Kirsten Jackson, Alberts, Workmeister, and Dasia Kabia (Western Tech).

The Riverhawks were the first to score out of the break, with a goal from Ruppert 3:38 in to cut the deficit to two. Ruppert scored again shortly after cutting the Knight's lead to one.

Corbitt-Fennekohl responded by completing her hat-trick off an assist from Workmeister making the score 11-9 Knights.

Rowe came back with her fourth goal for the Riverhawks off an assist from Caitlyn Shriver (Northeast) to once again cut the deficit to one. Eraso scored 11 seconds later to give the Knights another two-goal lead.

The back and forth scoring continued as the next goal came from Michael, completing her hat-trick and cutting the Knight's lead back to one.

Two unanswered goals came from Kirsten Jackson and Corbitt-Fennekohl (assisted by Hapsis) to tie the Knights largest lead at three. The goals were their third and fourth, respectively.

Michael scored her fourth goal, cutting the deficit to two at 14-12 Knights. While a woman-up, Szanyi scored for the Riverhawks, making it a one-goal game with 13:15 to go.

Ruppert tied the game with a hat-trick off an assist from Michael, then returned the favor, assisting Michael on her fifth goal shortly after to give the Riverhawks a 15-14 lead with 10:14 to go.

Corbitt-Fennekohl responded with her fifth goal to tie the game and end the Riverhawks 4-0 run.

Alyssa Baronella-O'Toole (Old Mill) scored her first goal of the game to give the Riverhawks the lead with 6:13 to go in the game.

Eraso responded a short time later, tying the game 16-16 with 5:23 remaining in the game.

The Riverhawks went on to score two unanswered with help from penalties causing the Knights to be a woman-down twice in the final minutes. The first came from Michael off an assist from Ruppert and the second came from Rowe with 2:18 remaining, making it an 18-16 game.

The Knights received a woman-up opportunity shortly after and took advantage with a goal from Hapsis with 1:03 remaining to bring it within one.

The Knights had a chance in the final minute but were unable to score and tie the game. The final score was 18-17 Riverhawks.

Follow us on Twitter @CCBCEssexSports.

View: Mobile | Desktop