BALTIMORE COUNTY, Md. -- The Knights pitched their first shutout of the season last night in a 5-0 victory over Maryland JUCO Conference foe College of Southern Maryland in front of a home crowd at CCBC Essex Stadium.
Opponent: College of Southern Maryland Hawks
Score: CCBC Essex 5 Southern Maryland 0
Records: CCBC Essex (3-1, 2-0 Maryland JUCO) Southern Maryland (1-2, 0-2 Maryland JUCO)
Location: Rosedale, Md.
Recap by Oluwaseun Adeniji
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first two minutes of the game, Cameron Schnaack (Redeemer) scored the Knights' first goal of the game - his first of the season - assisted with a header from Trent Hofmeister.
- After a foul against the Hawks at 10:47, Jake Dengler (John Carroll) scored his third goal of the season, increasing the Knights' lead to 2-0.
- The Knights kept their feet on the accelerator.
- In the 22nd minute, Clement Blamo's (Dundalk) shot was just inches wide from the net.
- At 24:21, Maycol Nunez (Washington-Lee) creates space and takes a quick shot, burying it for his first goal of the season and as a member of the Knights.
- Four minutes later, Varmah Siryon (Dundalk) scored his third goal of the season. Siryon received a good pass from Nunez, then beat the keeper.
- In the 35th minute, Hawks' Pierre Corneil had the team's first shot on goal, but Knights' goalie Kyle Cooper (Calverty Hall) made the save.
- With six minutes before halftime, Logan Funk (Sparrows Point) made a shot but missed the net just wide right leaving the score at 4-0.
- Nine minutes into the second-half, Funk capped the Knights' scoring with his second collegiate goal, assisted by Bryan Roney (Easton). Roney played the ball into the middle, and Funk collected the ball and put it past the Hawks' goalie.
"Sure I was happy with him. He was kind of rusty just because he hadn't been on the field very much coming back from an injury, but we got a little bit of fitness out of him. [And] it worked out well." ~ Head coach Joe Fiedler's comments on Maycol Nunez's return to the lineup.
The Knights will play Allegany College of Maryland at CCBC Essex Stadium on Saturday, September 16 at 2:00 p.m.