BALTIMORE COUNTY, Md. -- The Knights began its Maryland JUCO Conference title defense on Friday with a resounding 5-2 victory over Prince George's Community College in front of a home crowd at CCBC Essex Stadium.
Opponent: Prince George's Community College Owls
Score: CCBC Essex 5 Prince George's 2
Records: CCBC Essex (2-1, 1-0 Maryland JUCO) Prince George's (2-1, 1-1 Maryland JUCO)
Location: Rosedale, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first five minutes of the game, Edwin Navas (Reading) scored the Knights' first goal of the game and his first goal of the season, on a pass from Jake Dengler (John Carroll School). Navas finished a brilliant corner by Dengler with a header.
- At 22:34, Carlos Guzman-Hernandez (Easton) scored his first collegiate goal to put the Knights ahead 2-0.
- Just over two minutes later, Clement Blamo Jr. (Dundalk) put another shot on goal, but Owl's goalie Jonathan Claros made the save.
- The Knights continued its pressure attack. At 34:40, Bryan Roney's (Easton) shot was saved by Claros and it remained 2-0.
- With under two minutes before halftime, Logan Funk (Sparrows Point) scored with an assist from Navas.
- In the 52nd minute of play, the Knights scored their fourth goal. After a foul against the Owls, the Knights' Dengler sent a long shot passed Claros from about 45 yards out.
- Less than one minute later, Dengler struck again from a similar position after another Owls' foul, to give the Knights a 5-0 lead.
- The Owls fought valiantly down the stretch. At 56:39, Roshawn Panton's shot went just high of the cross bar.
- In the 75th minute, Celio Grice put the Owls on the board with an assist by Panton.
- Five minutes later (79:40), the Owls scored again, this time it was Panton.
- The Owl's continued to try and climb back into the game. At 84:11, a shot by Brice was saved by the Knights' goalie Kyle Cooper (Calvert Hall).
- The Knights will play the College of Southern Maryland at CCBC Essex Stadium on Tuesday, September 12 at 7:00 p.m.
*Oluwaseun Adeniji contributed to this recap